Wednesday, December 7, 2011

One month ago, today...

One month ago, today, my friend, mentor and business partner, Denai Vaughn, died in a car accident.
It's still hard for me to really wrap my mind around the fact that she is gone.
The life she lived was just that... a life. She was full of life. She didn't stand on the sidelines, waiting for things to happen for her. She got out there, she made them happen. She enjoyed life's little moments as much as she enjoyed life's big moments...
and she saw God in EVERYTHING.
Denai didn't waste a minute living her life. She didn't put things off until tomorrow. She didn't wait to tell people that she cared about them. You knew she cared about you just by the tone of her voice.
When she entered a room, she immediately grabbed the attention of everyone in it without commanding it in any way. When she hugged your neck, she made you feel like you were important, appreciated and special. She always said, "YOU are WORTH IT!" More importantly though, she really made people feel like that.
I met Denai simply because God told her to send me an email. Our friendship was a whirlwind of blessings, excitement, and fun. I learned more from her in the time we shared as friends than I ever dreamed possible. Neither of us entered the friendship with any sort of gain in mind, but what we came out with was more than I had ever hoped for.
All of a sudden I loved this woman like my own sister. All of a sudden we were close enough to call one another at midnight...
"Happy tomorrow! I figured you'd still be up working... I was thinking about something and wanted to run it by you..."
Those are conversations I will never forget.
Denai made an imprint on the world that won't soon be forgotten. She made an imprint on thousands of people's hearts that won't soon be forgotten, either...
There are still voicemails from her on my phone that I can't bring myself to delete. When I really need to hear her voice I listen to them.
There are still emails from her, sitting in my inbox, awaiting a reply... I can't delete those yet, either.
Some day I'll be able to. For now, the wound is still fresh.
I don't cry every time I think about her these days, like I did at first. This is the first loss I've felt so close to home, and man was it a big one.
When Denai died she took a piece of my heart with her. There's now a hole there where the light of her life shines through.
Somehow she reminds me every day to find God in everything... that God is good... that family is everything... that we are here to bless people in whatever ways we can.
I learned so much from her in our short time as friends, and I continue to learn from her after her death.

So this is my prayer for today;
Lord,
Please help me to live like a bright, shining light like Denai did. You are so good God, so faithful and just. Thank you for the knowledge that Denai is in heaven, "WOOHOO!!!"ing it up with the angels, singing praises at Your feet, networking and keeping everyone busy. Also thank you that she is reunited with her little heavenly children, and with her brother. What a wonderful Christmas she will spend in the heavens with You. I can only imagine how amazing it will be.
Father, help us to remember the important things, especially during this time of year. Your blessings are truly astounding on every level. Guide us as we walk, day to day. Help us to enjoy the moments we have here, and not take them for granted. Help us to live a life that reflects Your love, a life that makes an imprint on those we encounter. God, help us bless as many people as we can in the time we have here... for only You know when our hour to reunite with You in heaven will come.
Oh Jesus we sing Your praises... Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come! You, Father, are sovereign and good. So, so good.
Continue to be with all of those mourning the loss of our sweet Denai, especially her precious family. Lord, hug her for us, because we sure do miss her down here...
Amen

Guys, we just never know when our time will be. Life is so short. Love everyone you encounter. Find ways to bless people, because what is life for if not to love one another?
During this Christmas holiday, remember God's love... a love so strong that He sent His Son to die for us.

Today, I remember my friend's amazing life. Forever, I will remember the legacy she left...

May your day be filled with blessings, your moments be warmed with laughter, and your praises be sung to the Most High.
- Maddy

May you rest in the arms of our Lord and Savior forever, sweet Denai.
July 26, 1974 - November 7, 2011


And the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will Himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. - 1 Peter 5:10

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. - Romans 15:13

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. - Romans 8:28

9 comments:

Steven Liles said...

Praying for you and all her loved ones as you experience one of the many firsts (birthdays, anniversaries and such) without Denai. There is great peace found in Hebrews 12:1 knowing that Denai ran the race God had laid before her and now she is part of that Great Cloud of Witnesses cheering you on as you run yours. I have no doubt there was one heck of a welcoming party for her when she entered the gates of Heaven. And I assure you it will be the same when you are reunited on those streets of Gold. Until then keep running your race with perseverance as God has great things in store for you and best of all you have your best friend cheering you on!

Doiron said...

Thank you for the beautiful tribute to our mutual friend, Denai. I know what you mean, she was such an amazingly loving woman... so real. What you saw is who she was. Love was Denai. I miss her so much too and I`m really grateful for all the places where she is on the web so I can go visit with her. It makes my heart smile. I know she is with the Jesus she loved so much and one day we will meet again - oh! what a glorious day that will be.

Sincerely,
The LEARNED Preneur @ NormaDoiron.NET ♥

Note: Check out what I wrote a few weeks ago, 'Remembering the Woman She Became – Denai Downs Vaughn'

Robb: Ramblings Of A Twins Dad said...

Hi Maddy,

What a wonderful tribute to Denai. I too still can not believe that she is gone. Denai was as you stated such an amazing woman who I was fortunate to become acquainted with due to the fact that I am an at home dad. I only wish that I could have met her in person as well.

Take care and hope to talk with you soon.

Robb in Omaha

Lynette Hoy said...

Hey Maddy! You rock. Plain and simple. I love this blog, and I love your tribute. We all miss her; I have her on my new fan page too. I did a small gesture for her there, as I know she wants me to move forward and is whoo hoo-ing all of us up there! I know she is completely happy, and believe she is with me always, just as the rest of my family is including God. RIP my lovely! Much love Maddy!

Lynette Hoy

Maddy V said...

Thank you all for the sweet comments! Denai was such an amazing woman, no blog tribute could ever be good enough to truly describe what she meant to me!
Thanks for all the continued prayers. Oh and thanks for making me cry when I read yall's sweet words... ;) God bless!

Beau-Jeffrey Gaudina said...

Thanks Maddy for your TRIBUTE to Denai, as well as lifting up our Lord in all you do!

Denai's life, passion and optimistic attitude has brought out the best in all of us. I feel so sad for Tim and Tori :-(

Sadly (I say this selfishly), she has beat us to the finish line, and is now basking in the presence of the Author & Finisher of our faith! I'm sure she's got that "Great Cloud of Witnesses" ALL FIRED UP...WHOO HOO!

Thank you God for having blessed us all with such an AMAZING person! AMEN!

Maddy V said...

Amen Beau!

Jolee Burger said...

Thank you for your tribute. I sure miss her, too... It is so hard to imagine, even still. It's difficult to talk about and have people understand. I was a friend of hers from Groom (although I live in Fort Worth now). We went to junior high together. She was amazing, helpful and so good at what she did. I am so glad I reconnected with her a couple of years ago. But, Lord, I miss her. I am so sad for her sweet family. It seems so unfair.

Maddy V said...

It really does Jolee. But thankfully she is in heaven celebrating Jesus' birthday... with JESUS!
I miss her so much. I am so sad for her family and all of us who loved her so much that she left behind.