Sunday, September 4, 2011

It's personal.

Ok so it's official - I have decided that this blog will be a personal blog. Not to say it won't occasionally incorporate business-ish stuff, but it means I am giving myself explicit permission to talk about everything from the goings-on of my family, to why I had a fantastic day and you should too, to the irresistable adorableness (is that a word? came out of my mouth didn't it? HA!) of my dogs. Basically, I will be blogging about what matters to me.
My life
God has recently been taking me down a new and very exciting path! I have established myself as The getREAL Coach, and am in the process of starting my business. To find out more about what I do, click here, and here, oh and here too
One thing after another has started very quickly falling into place, and I can't wait to see where He is taking all this!
So today it feels like fall is coming. And I LOVE IT. Yes, capital letters love it! According to a USA Today poll, only 28% of the adult population's favorite season is fall. Well guess what? I am a part of that 28%! What's your favorite season and why?
Moving on.
I seem to say this everytime a new month rolls around, but seriously people, is anyone else blown away by the fact that it is already September? I mean, holy crow! The year's end is creeping up on us all Ninja style. Sheesh.
The high school volleyball team I coach, Arbor Christian Academy, has already been in season for over a month. A month! Feels like just yesterday we had our first day of two-a-days. Speaking of two-a-days... totally brutal. But I love 'em.
...I digress. Anyway, we ended up having one big varsity team this year. We are calling it our Gideon season. We started with more than 20 girls and are currently at 13. It's sort of our joke that we're like Gideons army. God keeps whittling us to smaller numbers. So no doubt every victory belongs to Him! (Don't know the story of Gideon? Read it here.) So far it has proved true time and time again. We have a very young team and so it's been pretty up and down lately, but they're a great, hard working group of girls.
My family
Chris is now fully certified and can be hired on with the Amarillo Fire Department. They test again sometime during the beginning of 2012, so for now he's working EMS standby and security. That will probably change soon though, because it's totally boring him to death and he can't stand sitting still, so he's applied for a couple different positions. Here's to hoping he gets one of them so he can have the holidays off! He's also still volunteering for the county fire department as well. 
My dogs... you know, I just love to talk about my dogs. You get me going and look out, I will completely forget anything and everything we had formerly been talking about and all of my focus shoots in one direction faster than you can blink. Seriously though, my dogs are like my children. I just love 'em! But I'm not that crazy person who lets their dogs get away with anything they want (up on the furniture, hogging the bed space, eating people food, misbehaving). That, in fact, drives me bonkers. I mean really people, if you can't even train a disciplined dog how in the WORLD do you expect to have well-behaved children? And it is so not cool to go to someone's house who has no control over their dog. I think having a dog is good training for having kids. You know, minus the whole, when your baby cries you can't just put it outside thing. Oh and the learning how to walk part. Oh and talk. And uhm, school and such. Ok whatever. Point is having pets really shows you in a hurry the similarities (and differences, oh my the differences) the two of you have when it comes to training (hello parenting!) styles. Luckily for my husband and I, we've found we're pretty much on the same page. (Hallelujah thank you Jesus.) 
What's your take? Did you and your spouse get a dog before having kids? If so, did it bring to light some fundamental differences you guys had?

I think that will do it for today. Be sure to follow this blog and comment below! Oh and head's up - my business blog will be launching soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your posts crack me up!

Dogs like kids...well, one thing that popped into my mind was, when your dog bites you do you bite him back?
My answer: YUCK no way! Yet, with kids, I remember my parents biting me back when I bit others...and thankfully our daughter wasn't a biter!

Yet, you are right in that it does help you to learn who will be more patient, is the better "trainer," and who will tackle the messes - in the house and in the yard!

We had our pug, Molly, long before our daughter came into the picture. Actually, Tim had her before I came into the picture! Then came our shih-tzu, Frankie when our daughter was 4...and now KITTENS. I have learned I am more of a cat person and Tim is more of a dog person and as for our daughter, well, she is more of a HORSE person. LOL!

Keep writing so I can keep reading, Maddy!